Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Small parts as cold evenings set in

Work is calming down, more weekends and evenings available, but now, cold weather...I have planned to work on small parts through the winter and have tried to save such tasks during the warm snap we have had this Sept-Nov.  That means winter will push some tasks out of the workshop in the garage and into a small, but warm, corner of the basement where epoxy can cure and I do not have to rely on space heaters and plastic sheeting.  Not much to report, finished framing the transom and started work on the tiller.

Transom framed, Doug Fir top and Redwood everywhere else, also reinforcement for the rudder hardware.  I try not to second guess professionals, mainly given the fact I am not a professional boat designer like Michael Storer but this seems to be a common addition.  As a backpacker "of yore" I know the saying can also apply to boatbuilding, "Grams add up to ounces, and ounces add up to pounds."  Students of the GIS can probably deduce my rudder hardware choice just by looking at the picture; completely to spec, simple and lightweight.  Ronstan rf254 & rf239 gudgeons and a 1/4" SS rod bent and drilled.

A part of the build I have very much been looking forward to, including some of my late Papaw's wood into the boat.  Cutting 4/4 cherry for the tiller.  Had to go through the joiner/ planer a few times.

1 comment:

  1. It looks very nice job. I have used the same strategy for my gis, building smaller parts in the cellar during winter. But also have worked on the hull by adding an eletric heater and a plastic cover, to keep the warm. But of course it doesn't work with really cold climate. See some pics in my blog here: http://polisportivafranconi.blogspot.it/2014/12/gis-parte-11-fare-le-falchette.html
    http://polisportivafranconi.blogspot.it/search/label/boat%20building

    ReplyDelete